Speaking of Daniel, he has always been a bit of a White Rabbit / Mad Hatter hybrid for me.
- In the S5 premiere, “Because You Left,” he scurries past Juliet and Sawyer as they traipse through the Jungle, and says “Excuse me, I’m going to need the two of you to pick up the pace. Okay? Thanks.”
- In that moment, Daniel was incredibly reminiscent of The White Rabbit in the opening scene of “Alice.”
- He hurries about, obsessed with time, yelling about being “too late.”
- On the Rabbit, Lewis Carroll has said: “The White Rabbit is nervous and always in a hurry. However, he is confident enough about himself to contradict the King of Hearts. Because Alice follows him, he gets things moving again whenever he appears during the story. In a way, he is some kind of a guide through Wonderland for her, if only unintentionally.”
- As far as the Mad Hatter’s connection with Daniel, the parallel also seems to live in the obsession with “Time.”
- The Mad Hatter character in both “Alice” stories (who is never seen without his bow-tie, as our Daniel is never seen minus his precious neck tie) is said to have been inspired by Theophilus Carter, an inventor and servitor at Oxford. Maybe they could’ve just named the Daniel character “Oxford.”