Make Perfect Facebook Cover Pictures with Google’s Free Picasa
November 19, 2012 Leave a Comment
Facebook has moved everyone to the Timeline layout, so everyone needs a cover picture.
The cover picture format is 851 x 315 pixels. Your pictures can be bigger than that – Facebook will resize them to fit. The main thing is to make sure they’re in the 851:315 aspect ratio before you upload them so you can control how they look. Here’s how to do that in Google’s free Picasa photo editor.
1. Bring up the picture in Picasa.*
2. Click the Crop button.
3. From the dropdown menu choose Add Custom Aspect Ratio.
4. Here’s the real trick. For Dimensions, enter 2.7 x 1. (851 pixels divided by 315 pixels is 2.7 and change.) For the Name use Facebook Cover Picture. Click OK.
With that aspect ratio saved, it’s easy to make Facebook cover pictures any time by choosing Facebook Cover Picture from the dropdown menu.
5. Drag your cursor to crop the photo the way you want it to look.
- Picasa will constrain the crop rectangle to a 2.7:1 ratio that will fit exactly in the cover picture area without losing any part of the picture.
- You can drag the corners and sides of the selection area to make it larger or smaller.
- You can grab the middle of the selection area to move the rectangle.
6. When the crop looks the way you want it, click the Apply button.
7. Optional: Click the I’m Feeling Lucky button to see if you like the improvements Picasa makes to your image. You probably will, but if you don’t you can always click the Undo I’m Feeling Lucky button.
8. Export the picture. Go to the File menu and choose Export Picture to Folder. You want it to be at least 851 pixels wide, but wider is better – someone may want to see an enlarged version. The surefire settings are Use Original Size and Automatic image quality. Make a note of the Export location so you’ll know where to find the file, or click Browse and send it to the Desktop.
9. Upload it. On your Facebook wall hover over your cover picture, click the Change Cover button and choose Upload Photo.
* If the photo isn’t in Picasa, go to the File menu and choose Add File to Picasa. If you want to choose from a bunch of photos, put them all in a folder. Then go to File and choose Add Folder to Picasa.
Follow me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/lesjones/.